Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Recently a maniac squirrel was messing around with our electricity. Okay, maybe not a maniac squirrel. But definitely a very windy day that caused our appliances and lights to go on and off, crazily.
As we backed out of the driveway later that day, our fifteen year old daughter said "I liked it better when I was little and you used to tell me not to worry. That everything was going to be okay."
I guess that having me racing around the house wasn't exactly the picture of a mom in control. (I could picture THAT squirrel perched by our alliant energy box, messing with the wires while watching me through the patio doors and laughing.)
But maybe it's in those moments of indecision, of life happening, that our daughters begin to see us as they really should. Not super mom who protects from every danger, but a woman doing the best she can. Just like my daughter will grow to be someday. In her travels through life, she'll have to face her share of trouble and she may not have a clue what to do. But hopefully she will remember that I often didn't know what to do either, but I did try to do the best I could. Making some mistakes, yet moving forward.
Who'd have expected that lesson from a maniac squirrel?

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful words of wisdom! And I won't look at a squirrel the same again! LOL

    ReplyDelete